1/1 Photo of Crock Pot Beef Stew
10 hrs 30 mins
Kellie in SLO's Note:
This is one of my family's favorites. It is so nice on a cold winters day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable juice cocktail
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 1/4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1Place flour and chili powder if using in a plastic bag.
- 2Add meat cubes a few at a time shaking to coat.
- 3Heat oil in large saucepan or skillet.
- 4Brown the meat in the hot oil.
- 5In the bottom of a crock pot layer onion, potatoes, carrots and celery.
- 6Sprinkle with the bouillon granules, garlic, basil and thyme.
- 7Top with the browned meat.
- 8Pour the vegetable juice cocktail over the meat.
- 9(When I use chili powder in the flour on the meat I use V-8 Picante).
- 10Cover; cook on low for 10-12 hours or until meat and veggies are tender.
- 11NOTE: This can be prepared on top of the stove also.
- 12Brown the meat as above, only leave the meat in the pan and top with 3 1/2 cups vegetable juice cocktail, onion, bouillon granules, garlic, basil, and thyme.
- 13Bring to boiling, reduce heat and cover.
- 14Simmer 1-1 1/4 hours or until meat is nearly tender.
- 15Add potatoes, carrots and celery.
- 16Cover; simmer 30 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (473 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 597.0
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 118.0 mg
- Sodium 547.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 34.2 g