Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is one of my family's favorites. It is so nice on a cold winters day.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable juice cocktail
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 1⁄4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- Place flour and chili powder if using in a plastic bag.
- Add meat cubes a few at a time shaking to coat.
- Heat oil in large saucepan or skillet.
- Brown the meat in the hot oil.
- In the bottom of a crock pot layer onion, potatoes, carrots and celery.
- Sprinkle with the bouillon granules, garlic, basil and thyme.
- Top with the browned meat.
- Pour the vegetable juice cocktail over the meat.
- (When I use chili powder in the flour on the meat I use V-8 Picante).
- Cover; cook on low for 10-12 hours or until meat and veggies are tender.
- NOTE: This can be prepared on top of the stove also.
- Brown the meat as above, only leave the meat in the pan and top with 3 1/2 cups vegetable juice cocktail, onion, bouillon granules, garlic, basil, and thyme.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer 1-1 1/4 hours or until meat is nearly tender.
- Add potatoes, carrots and celery.
- Cover; simmer 30 minutes more.
This was a very good stew. I omitted the chili powder. I wasn't sure how it would taste with the other spices. It was very tasty. Thanks for posting.
Good stew! I used 2 lb of stew meat, 1 personal spicy v8, 1 can tomato soup, and the rest water. I might a few more spices next time like bay leaves. Thanks for the recipe, Kellie!
This was a tasty stew, however next time I think I will use tomato soup instead of vegetable juice.