Recipe by DDW
This recipe came with our crock pot instructions 15 years ago and it's been well used. We love coming home from skiing to a pot of stew. Another serving addition to this recipe that comes from my husband's grandparents, is to serve up the stew in a bowl and top with a scoop of cottage cheese and then sprinkle with seasoned salt. It sounds funny but is so.....tasty, I recommend you try it that way if you like cottage cheese. If you want the stew a bit thicker you can leave the lid off the last 1/2 hour or so and turn the heat up to high.
Top Review by Bergy
I followed your recipe but "Cleaned the frige"with the veggies. So instead of peas I used sugar snap peas. Added potatoes, parsnip, carrot & turnip. Love the Worchestershire sauce in it. Perfect for a dreary Winter evening meal. Cooked on high for 1 1/2 hrs then low for 4 hrs. Veggies were just right still had a bit of crunch
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 potatoes, diced
- cottage cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place meat in crock pot.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper.
- Pour over meat and stir to coat meat with flour.
- Add remaining ingredients except peas and stir to mix well.
- Cover and cook on low 10-12 hours.
- Add the frozen peas during the last hour of cooking.
- Stir thoroughly before serving.