Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Based on a recipe from Sunset's Crockery Cookbook. It recommends, "Serve thick slices of this moist, tender roast and its herb-seasoned tomato sauce with pasta tubes or twists, such as penne or rotelle." I think this is good family fare.
- 1 (3 lb) boneless bottom round roast, trimmed of fat
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- chopped parsley
- Sprinkle pepper on all sides of beef.
- Heat oil in a wide nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat; add beef and brown well on all sides.
- Meanwhile, in a 3-quart or larger electric slow cooker, combine onion, carrot, garlic, and herb seasoning.
- In a small bowl, mix tomato sauce, Worcestershire, and wine; set aside.
- Place beef on top of onion mixture.
- Pour tomato sauce mixture over beef. Cover and cook at low setting until beef is very tender when pierced (8 to 10 hours).
- Lift beef to a warm platter and keep warm.
- Skim and discard fat from sauce, if necessary.
- To serve, slice beef across the grain. Spoon some of thw sauce over meat; garnish with parsley.
- Serve remaining sauce separately.
You just have to love the crock pot a tough cut of meat comes out tender and in this case it even flaked with a fork. We both thought that the Worcestershire was a bit heavy for our tastes but overall we really enjoyed this. Served with garlic rice and green peas it was a very good family meal with no great fuss. I had thicker cut round steaks and used those in place of a roast and at 6 hrs it was lovely.
Crock Pot Beef Round Braised With Tomato & Herb By mersaydees
This lovely recipe is very similar to a recipe I have made since I learned to cook. However, I don%u2019t usually use canned tomato sauce so thought I would give this a try and I am glad I did. It makes it so much easier than cutting and pureeing my own or thawing what I froze from the summer harvest. What a great go to recipe in a flash when your morning is busy and you want a hearty warm me up dinner. I threw everything in the crock without braising first as my roast was frozen. I added an additional 45 min cooking time so it cooked for 9 hours and 15 min to make it a medium rare to medium cook. I also added in additional carrots so the veggie was prepped and I did not need additional veggies for dinner. PP would be to add more garlic and pepper but it may be that I did not braise the meat first so will do that next time.Served this over mashed taters and used the gravy from the roast over top. This is a keeper .
Thank you. Made for AUS/NZ Swap 47
We had this for dinner tonight and really enjoyed the flavor. My meat was tender. I served with mashed potatoes and we just put the sauce over the meat and potatoes. I made as directed but doubled the garlic and did not garnish with parsley. Thank you for a nice meal.