Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I wanted a pot roast and stew like vegetables all in one, so came up with this. Updated Jan. 11, 2010. This produces a lot of gravy so to reduce amount a bouillon cube can be substituted for the 8 oz beef broth.
- 3 -4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 -3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 -6 carrots, cleaned and sliced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 10 1⁄2 ounces condensed golden mushroom soup
- 8 ounces beef broth
- 12 ounces beer (Brown Ale)
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- In a 5 quart or larger crock pot pour in beef stock, beer and golden mushroom soup, stir to combine everything.
- Trim excess fat from roast if any and season both sides with salt and pepper. In a large skillet heat olive oil at medium high and brown roast on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- In the same skillet saute all vegetables for a couple of minutes to help release more flavor, add to crock pot and stir again.
- Place roast on top of vegetables cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.
- When done transfer roast and vegetables to serving platter and pour liquid into sauce pan and thicken with 2 tbs cornstarch mixed well with 2 tbs water, bring to a boil and stir until desired thickness of gravy.