Recipe by KeyWee
This recipe was printed in our local paper. I was looking for recipes to use the soup bones I got when purchasing a side of beef from our local farmer. This is thick and rich and so easy to toss in the crock pot. Set your bread-maker to be ready when the soup is done, and dinner is served!
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
Thoroughly enjoyed this soup. I cooked in my electronic pressure cooker instead & it came out very tasty. I added some kale & increased the tomatoes. Sub'd beef broth for the water/bouillon & cut back the salt. Great soup, thanks for sharing.
- 2 lbs soup bones with meat
- 3 carrots, peeled &, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled &, chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled &, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups water
- 6 beef bouillon cubes, crushed
- 1⁄2 lb lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon marjoram
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
Directions See How It's Made
- In slow cooker (4-1/2 quarts or larger) combine all ingredients except cabbage.
- Cover& cook on low 8 hours or until lentils are tender.
- Remove beef from bones, shred and and return to pot.
- Add shredded cabbage, turn pot to high setting, and cook 30 to 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.