Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Throw it out at a dinner party! I am sure your guests will like it and ask you for the recipe. Serve it with a good-quality red wine.
- 1⁄2 kg lean beef, cut in 3 cm cubes
- 3 medium yellow onions, in thick slices
- 250 g fresh button mushrooms (halved or quartered)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 beef bouillon cube, dissolved in
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat oil in pot.
- Add garlic and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Remove garlic and discard.
- Add sliced onions and stir-fry until pink.
- Add mushrooms and fry for about 20 minutes.
- Separate onions and mushrooms out.
- Add beef into pot and saute until brown on all sides.
- Mix flour, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add flour mixture to pot and stir until all beef pieces are covered with flour mixture.
- Add wine and water.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a rapid boil.
- Reduce heat until mixture just bubbles.
- Simmer for 3 hours.
- If required, thin out sauce adding some hot water.
- Add bay leaves.
- Add onions and mushrooms and simmer for another 30 minutes.