Recipe by Steve2702
I found this recipe in a Anthony Worrell Thompson Cook Book & Modified it slightly for Slow cooking There are plenty of ingredients & a bit of prep but its great and easy if you're feeding a crowd
Top Review by Jessica Costello
Being a chili fan I was thrilled to find a new recipe for an old fav. The unique items in the recipe were SO interesting. They are so different in flavors, they HAD to work right?HOWEVER, this was concoction came out like a train wreck. None of the odd flavors work together. The texture was great, the dish looked inviting, smelled divine...and it all went downhill when we tasted it. Sorry, not a keeper
- 2 kg chuck steaks, ground
- 500 g streaky bacon (cut into strips)
- 1 kg onion (Chopped)
- 6 garlic cloves (Finely Chopped)
- 4 celery ribs (Chopped)
- 4 red chilies, fresh (Finely Chopped)
- 2 (800 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 (1 1/4 kg) cans red kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons oregano leaves, ground
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 450 ml beef stock
- fresh coriander (Chopped)
- 2 tablespoons frying oil (Groundnut)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the frying oil to a large pan (I use a wok) & fry the ground beef in batches until brown adding each batch as brown to the crock pot.
- Add the streaky bacon to the pan & fry until golden.
- With a slotted spoon remove to the crock pot reserving the bacon fat.
- Add the onions, garlic, celery, chilies and bay leaf to the pan & fry in the bacon fat for 2 or 3 minutes then add the herbs & spices except the cinnamon & black pepper.
- Fry until softened, add to the crock pot.
- Add to the crock pot the tomatoes, beef stock, tomato paste, cinnamon, cocoa powder & black pepper. Cover & cook on low setting for 8-10 Hours.
- 30 minutes before the end of cooking, stir in the kidney beans.
- Fold in the chopped coriander just before serving.
- Serve with white rice, baked potatoes or both & drizzle over the Chili Creme Fraiche & if you wish a few chopped red onions.
- To Make the Chili Creme Fraiche.
- You will need 400g Creme Fraiche (sour cream) add to this 1 teaspoon of chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, 3 tablespoons of lime juice & 3 tablespoons each of chopped fresh coriander & chopped fresh parsley.
- Blend all together cover & refrigerate overnight.