Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Great for "meat and potato" lovers. A wonderful stew for a cold day.
- 1 (3 lb) boneless beef top sirloin steaks, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 8 small red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 8 -10 mushrooms, sliced
- 20 -24 white pearl onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups Burgundy wine or 2 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- Coat beef with flour, shaking off excess.
- Set aside.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until partially cooked.
- Add beef; cook until browned.
- Remove beef and bacon with slotted spoon.
- Layer carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, bay leaf, marjoram, thyme, salt, pepper, beef and bacon mixture and wine in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 9 hours or until beef is tender.
- Discard bay leaf before serving.
I love crockpot receipes and this is one of the best I have tried. It is easy, delicious, and very filling. My family loved it, children too, accompanied by french bread.
My family loved this recipe. I made rice and served it on the side. The bacon adds a nice flavor.
This recipe turned out ok. I found that it lacked some flavour - I used half wine and half beef broth. I also found that the sauce was not thick enough for my liking. The vegetables and meat did come out very tender, but I would have liked more flavour.