Recipe by Lainey39
This seriously simple soup is full of flavor and spice. You will need at least a 5-quart slow cooker for this reicpe. To save yourself some time in the morning, you can saute the ground beef, onion, garlic and celery the night before and refrigerate until the morning. Then all you have to do is combine the ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning and come home to a comforting, delicious meal. All you will have left to do is top it with some baked fresh corn tortilla strips, tortilla chips or corn chips and some sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and green onion - or whatever you like! A nice side salad would be a wonderful accompaniment with this soup. This soup freezes well, also.
Top Review by Domestic Goddess
Lainey, my husband and I loved this soup, it was so good!! I wish I could of given this recipe more than 5 stars. Yes it was a bit spicy, but my husband and I love spicy dishes. I think one could decrease the amount of heat, by decreasing the amount of chili powder and paprika. I made the recipe pretty much as is, except I didn't have lager beer, and a (14.5 ounce) can of the broth, so I subbed it with Milwaukee's Best Light Beer, as well as 1-(14 oz.) can of beef broth, plus 1/8 cup of water, and added a 1/4 teaspoon beef bouillon granules. Also, I only added 1/2 a teaspoon of salt. I made this in a 5-1/2 quart size slow-cooker, and cooked it on high for 3 hours. Boy did this smell wonderful while cooking. Thank you Lainey for this delicious soup recipe, it's a keeper!!
- 5 slices bacon, cooked, drained and chopped
- 1 lb ground sirloin or 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cup lager beer
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) canniblet corn, drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 -3 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- cayenne, pinch (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh baked corn tortilla strips or tortilla chips or corn chips, garnish
- shredded cheddar cheese, garnish
- sour cream, garnish
- green onion, chopped, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In large nonstick skillet, saute ground sirloin, onion, garlic and celery over medium to medium-high heat until beef is browned and crumbles (be sure not to have heat too high so you don't burn the garlic); drain fat.
- Add ground beef mixture to a 5-quart or large slow cooker.
- Add the bacon and the rest of the ingredients to the crock pot, except for the garnishes; mix well.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 6-8 hours or on high setting for 3-4 hours.
- To serve, garnish with any of the following: fresh tortilla strips, tortilla chips, corn chips, shredded cheese, sour cream and green onions.
- Don't forget to remove the bay leaf.