Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
Good for a cold winter night Some good comfort soup
- 4 slice bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 680.38 g boneless beef steaks, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 small red potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 354.88 ml fresh baby carrots, cut in half length wise
- 236.59 ml frozen corn
- 59.14 ml uncooked regular pearl barley
- 2 (793.78 g) can beef broth
- 411.06 g candiced tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano, undrained
- 340.19 g jar beef gravy
- Cook bacon in large non stick skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stirring frequently.
- Add Beef and onion salt and pepper; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until beef is browned.
- Into 4 quart crock pot layer potatoes, carrots, corn and barley. Top with beef mixture. Pour broth tomatoes and gravy over top. DO NOT STIR!
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. Stir before serving.
Oh this was WONDERFUL!!!! I made as written except for adding more barley and using canned corn. Flavor was fabulous!!!! If I could rate 10 stars I would!!! Thanks for posting!!
Fixed this the other day for DH's father and his "girlfriend" and she just called to let me know it was delicious!! I fixed half the recipe and sent it over to them so I myself didn't get to try it. I will be making this again just for DH and I. I followed the directions and while cooking it smelled soooo gooood. Thank you and I will update when I get a sample. Made for Spring PAC 2010.
This was a delicious soup, Cathy Pete. Both my kids and enjoyed it, too, which is a big plus. The gravy made it a bit thicker than regular soup and gave it a slight tang to the flavor. I used lower salt beef broth. The barley was subtle but added a bit more texture. Thanks for posting and I'll look out for more of your recipes. Roxygirl