Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A crock pot can be a great time saver for busy moms or people who work. I like using mine because I can make a meal and still take a nap or rest while it cooks. I don't have the extra energy always to stand and cook for hours. This recipe is full of my favorite foods. Serve this with crusty bread to sop up the extra liquid.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef bottom round steaks or 1 1⁄2 lbs chuck roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can French onion soup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 3 cups mushrooms, cut in half (about 10 oz.)
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 1/2 lb.)
- 1 cup whole white baby onion
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- Pepper beef and coat with 2 tablespoons flour.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and cook until browned, stirring often.
- Mix beef, soup, garlic, Italian seasoning, mushrooms, carrots and onions in 3 1/2-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high heat 6-8 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- MIX remaining flour and water and stir flour mixture into cooker.
- Cover and cook 15 minute or until slightly thickened.
This is a great recipe! We made just a few slight modifications: added 1 can diced tomatoes, added about 2 TBSP corn starch with a little water halfway through the cooking time (DH likes his stew thick), and also several red potatoes. We really enjoyed this recipe and will definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing!
This is a lovely, lower carb stew. I cooked it on high for 2 hours and then turned it to low for 5 1/2 hrs and the beef is melt in your mouth tender. The Italian herbs are very nice with the mushies and and onions. I added some red and orange sweet peppers because I had then to use up. I had a slice of whole wheat soda bread and Cole Slaw with it.