Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This sounds so yummy! I haven't tried it yet, but with the weather cooling down, it's high up on my list.
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons instant beef bouillon or 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon or 6 bouillon cubes
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 beaten egg white
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- In a slow cooker or crock pot combine beans, water, tomatoes, corn, carrot, onion, undrained chili peppers, bouillon, chili powder and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hours.
- Can be put in at night and let cook overnight or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg white, milk, and oil.
- Add to flour mixture.
- Stir with a fork just until combined.
- Turn crock pot to high and drop the dumpling mixture from a rounded teaspoon to make about 8 dumplings on the soup.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
This is a good filling soup for a cold day. The seasonings are tasty but not spicy. The only change I made was to add a pound of browned ground beef to the recipe (DH won't go "meatless"). I left this in the crockpot all day so supper was ready when we were.