Recipe by jenmace2
I made this up for New Years as an appetizer and they were such a hit. We ate the leftovers over egg noodles 2 days later, and they were even better. (make a double batch for parties)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (ground chicken is also an option)
- 1 cup crushed Ritz cracker
- 2 tablespoons bottled barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon A.1. Original Sauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -2 dash chili powder
- 1 -2 dash garlic powder
- 1 (20 -22 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce (use your favorite)
- 20 -22 ounces water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon A.1. Original Sauce
- 2⁄3 cup catsup
- 1⁄4 cup mustard (brown works best)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute diced onion in a large saute pan, put half aside to cool.
- Add BBQ sauce, A-1, mustard, and ketchup.
- Fill the empty BBQ sauce bottle with water and add to pan.
- Bring to a simmer, for 5 minutes, then set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl; blend: egg whites, bbq sauce, A1 sauce, salt, pepper, chili and garlic powders, and margarine.
- Place the beef in a large mixing bowl and slowly add the blended ingredients.
- Slowly add crushed crackers and mix until well blended.
- Roll into small (3/4- 1 inch balls).
- Bake on greased sheet in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- After meatballs are all baked, place them into your crock pot and add the sauce.
- cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Can be served with toothpicks as an appetizer, on rolls for a sandwich, or over egg noodles as dinner.