Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is great shredded with chopped greens and served in tortillas or served as the main course with rice.
- 1 cup cola (do not use diet soda)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves or 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 lbs chuck roast (if using deer meat, add 1 tbls. oil to cooking liquid) or 2 lbs moose (if using deer meat, add 1 tbls. oil to cooking liquid) or 2 lbs venison (if using deer meat, add 1 tbls. oil to cooking liquid)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl add 1st 8 ingredients.
- Reserve 1/2 cup for sauce later.
- Trim excess fat from meat if using chuck roast.
- Put meat and onions into a 4 quart crock pot or dutch oven.
- Pour liquid over meat.
- Crock pot: Cover & cook 5-6 hours on high.
- Dutch oven: Cook covered for 3 hours at 325°F.
- Remove meat from liquid and serve with sauce.
- Sauce: Heat reserved spiced liquid, ketchup, and butter in a sauce pan until heat until butter melts.
- Set aside in fridge.
- Heat through and serve with meat.
We eat a lot of venison in our house and I am always looking for new ways to serve it. Unfortunately, this isn't exactly what I was hoping for. BBQ led me to believe it would be a bit tangy, but I didn't feel this had much of a BBQ taste. The onions overpowered the venison. I even added only one onion, and they were still too overpowering, and we even like onions :) I could see where this recipe would be really good with a really "gamey" piece of meat as the onions would disguise the game flavor. We did enjoy it, hence the 4 stars, but it wasn't quite what we were looking for. I served this with Parmesan-mustard Mashed Potatoes Recipe #49073 and they seemed to be a nice mix in flavors. Thanks a bunch! :)
We did this recipe with 4 lbs Moose and slow cooked high for 4 hours - TENDER! TASTY! MMMMMMMMM Only wandering what the amount of measurement was for the worcestershire sauce??? I used 1/4 tsp ? I omitted steps 2,10,11,12 and just served au jus!
I, like another reviewer, didn't really find it to be BBQ, HOWEVER, the broth concoction works fantastic. I used 4 deer steaks in the slow cooker. After a couple of hours I tasted the meet and all I could taste as first was onion and I was oh no, hubby doesn't like onions. I then added another cup of beef brother and hoped for the best. After six hours now, a retaste and no onlon taste this time and meat is falling off the bone. I am going to let it for another couple. Now for the bbq sauce part. I took some of the broth and added ketchp....no, this didn't work for me so I added Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and that took up a whole new level, it was awesome. Hubby hates ketchup. So I took my new concoction and added it back into the crock pot. I think I will just serve this with the store bought But seriously, the broth is fantastic!!!!!