1/15 Photos of Crock Pot Baked Spiced Red Cabbage With Apples or Pears
6 hrs 45 mins
French Tart's Note:
A delicious recipe using red cabbage, fragrant spices & apples or pears; whilst this is happily cooking away, the spicy smell pervades the kitchen & indeed the rest of the house and heralds the start of my festive baking & freezing season - who needs expensive pot-pourries! Not only is this dish delectable to eat alongside turkey, pork, beef and hams in particular - but the colour is just gorgeous, a rich jewelled ruby red! This cabbage can be kept warm for long periods, reheated and also freezes very well, making it a very well behaved recipe!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs red cabbage, shredded finely
- 4 large onions, peeled & finely diced
- 4 large apples or 4 large pears, NOT peeled, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled & finely minced
- 4 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- salt & pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 ounce butter
- 1Discard outer leaves of the red cabbage and ut into quarters. Cut out the central woody root and then shred the quarters very finely. Place in a bowl. Cut the apples or pears into quarters, core them & then slice into fine dice and set aside in another bowl.
- 2Place peeled and diced onions into another bowl & make sure all the other ingredients are measured and to hand!
- 3If cooking in a conventional dutch oven or Le Creuset type casserole dish, turn oven on to 180 C or 360°F It can be cooked on top of the stove too.
- 4For cooking in the crockpot - take the inner crock out and start layering the ingredients: Red cabbage, then salt & pepper; Apples or pears, onions & garlic, then the spices & brown sugar;keep layering this way until everything has been used up.
- 5(If you would like it slghtly spicier, add a little more spices, but no more than 1 teaspoon per spice, as it will be too spiced & will detract from the apple/pear & red cabbage flavours!).
- 6Dot the top of the red cabbage with the butter and pour over the red wine vinegar.
- 7Season once more with salt & pepper and cook for 6 to 12 hours on High in the crockpot, until everything has broken down, is soft and it is a rich red colour.
- 8For conventional cooking - cook for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours at 180 C or 360°F I.
- 9It can be cooked on the stove top too; takes about 2 - 3 hours on a low heat, just a slow simmer.
- 10Pears can be used as well, and I sometimes add a handful of cranberries for a really festive touch!
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Baked Spiced Red Cabbage With Apples or Pears
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.0
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 63.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 25.7 g
- Protein 2.9 g