Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
A wonderful flavored soup. Nice served with homemade potato bread.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 158.51 ml butter or 158.51 ml margarine
- 158.51 ml flour
- 1419.54 ml milk
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 4 chopped green onions
- 12 slice cooked and crumbled bacon
- 295.73 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 226.79 g light sour cream
- 7.39 ml chicken bouillon granules
- additional cooked bacon (optional)
- Wash potatoes and prick several times with a fork.
- Bake in foil in a preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until done.
- Let cool.
- Cut potatoes.
- Melt butter in a heavy sauce pan over low heat.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is bubbly.
- Pour into crock pot and then add potato cubes, salt, pepper, green onions, crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese and chicken granules.
- Cook on High for 4 hours.
- Stir in the sour cream right before serving.
- If soup is to thick, add a little milk at a time until desired thickness is achieved.
- Garnish with additional sour cream and crumbled bacon.
We just loved this soup! I actually cooked it on high for about 2 hours, then turned it to low. I added 1/2 a block of cream cheese, and didn't add the sour cream to the crock pot, as our guest doesn't care for it. We added just a dollop on each bowl. This recipe will be on our menu all winter long.
This soup tastes just like O'Charley's baked potato soup. I didn't change too much, just switched out the cheddar for velvetta cheese. It was perfect! And even better the next day.