Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
A wonderful flavored soup. Nice served with homemade potato bread.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 6 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 chopped green onions
- 12 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces light sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- additional cooked bacon (optional)
- Wash potatoes and prick several times with a fork.
- Bake in foil in a preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until done.
- Let cool.
- Cut potatoes.
- Melt butter in a heavy sauce pan over low heat.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is bubbly.
- Pour into crock pot and then add potato cubes, salt, pepper, green onions, crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese and chicken granules.
- Cook on High for 4 hours.
- Stir in the sour cream right before serving.
- If soup is to thick, add a little milk at a time until desired thickness is achieved.
- Garnish with additional sour cream and crumbled bacon.
We just loved this soup! I actually cooked it on high for about 2 hours, then turned it to low. I added 1/2 a block of cream cheese, and didn't add the sour cream to the crock pot, as our guest doesn't care for it. We added just a dollop on each bowl. This recipe will be on our menu all winter long.
This soup tastes just like O'Charley's baked potato soup. I didn't change too much, just switched out the cheddar for velvetta cheese. It was perfect! And even better the next day.
very good. It would have been even better (although less fiber-full) if I had taken time to peel the potatoes. ooh, I used half a block of velveeta instead of the cheddar, and didn't have any chicken bouillon.