Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Very easy, I think it tastes best when cooked slow and I found with my slow cooker I had to cook for an hour or two longer than the recipe says. My hubby loves this recipe! If you have used up all the reserved fluid and need extra fluid while cooking, in particular when on high, use up to 1/2 cup of tomato juice. Prep time does not include the bean soak.
- 1 lb dried navy beans
- 5 cups water
- 5 -6 pieces bacon
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper, ground mixture
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Soak beans overnight in large bowl.
- Drain, put in large pot and cover with 5 cups of water. Simmer over medium low heat until tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain beans reserving 2 cups of liquid.
- Add beans to slow cooker.
- In a skillet over medium high heat fry bacon until browned, chop and stir into beans.
- Combine juice, chopped onion, ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, dry mustard, salt, pepper and chili, add to beans and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours. Until beans are tender and flavourful.
- Check and add a little of the reserved liquid as necessary.
- *or high 4-5 hours.
We had the family over to try this one and everyone loved it. I cooked them in the oven instead of a crockpot. 250 - 300 degrees for 7 - 9 hours. Careful about the sauce getting burned on the sides as it cooks down. However, this does give them a smokey flavor...