Top Review by Chef Sandykaz
This recipe is all most the same as my grandmas, who was born in the late 1800's. The difference is she used salt pork instead of Canadian bacon and baked it in the oven. Wonderful flavor! So glad to see the crock pot version.
- 1 lb dried navy beans, soaked overnight
- 6 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup black coffee
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 onion, cut in half stuck with 4 cloves
- 4 slices Canadian bacon, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine beans and water in slow cooker, cover& cook on low heat for 7 hours until tender.
- Drain; refrigerate in pot.
- Can be cooked up to 3 days in advance.
- Stir together molasses, coffee, sugar, vinegar, mustard, salt& pepper in small bowl.
- Stir into beans in pot.
- Add onion and Canadian bacon, pushing down into beans.
- Cook, covered, on low heat for 7 hours, or until beans are flavored through.