Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I found this on the "Six Sisters' Stuff" blog and they linked it from "Your Home Based Mom." This is a versatile Mexican chicken dish that can be served on a salad with black beans and avacado, in quesadillas or over tortilla chips, taco style. It is a sweeter dish as apposed to being spicy. I've also included the OAMC/freezer instructions.
- 5 chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (I used medium heat salsa)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (more or less to taste)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 6 ounces Sprite (1/2 can)
- tortilla, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, shredded lettuce, black beans, etc., for serving
- Combine all ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Remove chicken and shred. Return to crock pot and cook 1 more hour. Thicken the juices with a little cornstarch mixed in water, if desired.
- If you want it spicier rather than sweeter add a hotter salsa and more green chilies.
- Serve with taco fixings or as suggested in the recipe description.
- OAMC/Freezer Instructions:
- Once it is all cooked and shredded, pour into a freezer gallon-sized ziploc bag. Freeze flat. When you are ready to use it, quickly reheat it (either in a crock pot or even a microwave!). It works best if you let it thaw in your fridge for about 24 hours before reheating it.