Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a yumy asian round steak recipe that is made in the crockpot. My family enjoys this recipe. Adapted from Simple & Delicious.
- 2 lbs boneless beef top round steaks, cut into strips
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium green peppers, cut in strips
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- Place steak in crock pot.
- Combine celery, soy sauce, sugar, salt, garlic, ginger and pepper and pour over meat.
- Cook on low 4 to 6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add peppers, tomato sauce, bean sprouts, water chestnuts and mushrooms.
- Cook on low 1 hour longer.
- In a bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth and stir into beef mixture.
- Cook on high for 30 minutes or until gravy is thickened.
- We like to serve over rice.
I made this recipe today in my electric pressure cooker and it was very good. I sliced the beef thin and browned before adding the seasonings and cooking for 20 mins. I omitted the tomato sauce, water chestnuts and canned mushrooms and replaced them with more celery, bellpeppers, and shitake mushrooms. My mom made this when I was a kid and this was just like I remembered but way better. Great flavor and a great meal, will definitely add to the recipe book.
This was easy and makes a ton, but we thought it was really bland. Kind of reminded me of the school cafeteria chop suey in flavor. I think I just prefer Asian food that has stronger flavors.
I followed the recipe really closely but I used 4 cloves of minced garlic instead.
Our whole apartment has smelled good all day, was so glad that dinner tasted as good as it smelled!