Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Sweet and spicy, and so tender it will fall right off the bone. Great served over steamed rice with a side of Asian slaw.
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 29.58 ml ginger, minced
- 14.79 ml garlic, crushed
- 59.14 ml hoisin sauce
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 44.37 ml brown sugar or 44.37 ml Splenda sugar substitute
- 29.58 ml sesame oil
- 29.58 ml instant minced onion
- 14.79 ml oyster sauce
- 29.58 ml sake
- 14.79 ml five-spice powder
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 1814.36 g beef back ribs or 1814.36 g short rib of beef
- Mix all ingredients except for ribs in crock pot.
- Add the ribs one at a time, coating them with sauce and stacking them as you go.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove ribs and pour sauce into a separate container.
- Allow fat to separate and skim off of top (there will be quite a bit).
- Return sauce to meat, and serve.
I made these for my husband last night, and so this is his taste rating. :) As for me, these were very easy to prepare. The hardest thing was draining off the sauce to separate it, but that wasn't *that* difficult (just a little clumsy for me) and it is definitely something you should do since a lot of fat cooks off. After I separated it, I whisked in some flour to thicken the sauce a little. Otherwise I made this as written. They were definitely very tender! I served this with soba noodles and steamed veggies (broccoli, sugar snap peas, carrots). Thank you.
This was great! I used powdered ginger(no fresh) and had to make my own hoisin from a recipe posted here on zaar. I didn't have sake so I used white wine. Other than those few changes, did everything else as written. Next time, I'll use the fresh ginger. Thanks for sharing this.
My husband and three children ages 6, 5, and 3 inhaled these. I didn't like them, but only because the texture of the ribs themselves (I'd never had beef ribs before). I will definitely keep this recipe around for days that mom's going out at night and dad has to feed the kids himself! Thanks little!