Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Rice, cheese and beans cooked in the crock pot so that you can have comfort food at the end of a long day.
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain brown rice, uncooked
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can mexican style beans, undrained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- Set aside 1 cup of the grated cheese.
- Mix all other ingredients together, breaking up the tomatoes carefully.
- Place mixture into a well greased crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 6-9 hours.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with reserved grated cheese.
I really enjoyed this dish, even though I did make some changes to it. I tried to find converted rice, but no luck, so I used long grain brown rice, added about a cup more water, turned it on high for a couple hours, then down to low for about 4 hours. I used home canned tomatoes and a combination of Monterey Jack and colby cheese. I loved this with cheese on top and it made alot so I will be nibbling on this for the coming week. Thanks Geema! ;)
Yummy! I made with Chili beans as I could not find mexican beans. I found it got a bit mushy, but the flavor was very good. It was even better the next day. I will make this again, yummy and so easy! I served it with more salsa.
Very good and filling. I used didn't have any converted rice so used regular rice (added 1/2 cup water) and I wasn't sure what Mexican beans were so I used chili beans. We all liked the result of spicy beans, rice and cheese. Although we served this by itself I think this would be great with cornbread and hot dogs. Thanks for sharing!