Recipe by Olha
Here's a slow cooker version of the great Spanish dish Arroz con Pollo. This tasty one dish meal is popular with everyone. Serve with a green salad and hot crusty bread, and pass the hot pepper sauce for those who like heat.
Top Review by titopuente
Good recipe - but I changed it a little. Saffron is good in this, but true Cuban arroz con pollo uses some oregano and cumin. I used a round teaspoon of both. I also added a little Spanish paprika for a smokey flavor. To avoid having the rice turn to mush, first I deglazed the frying pan with the tomatoes and added this to the crockpot. I waited until about 45 minutes before completion, and sauteed the rice in a little olive oil until transparent, then added this rice to the crock pot. The rice cooked perfectly - it was tender but did not turn to mush.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron threads (soaked in 2 Tbsp. boiling water) or 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 lbs chicken pieces, skin on breasts, skinless legs and thighs
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups converted long grain rice
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, including juice, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (OR 1 cup chicken stock plus 1/2 cup dry white wine)
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup green peas, thawed if frozen
- sliced pimento stuffed olive (optional)
- hot pepper sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, in batches, and brown lightly on all sides.
- Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add rice and stir until grains are well coated with mixture.
- Stir in saffron, tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Transfer to slow cooker stoneware and stir to combine with chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, until juice run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.
- Stir in green pepper and peas, cover and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes, until vegetables are heated through.
- Garnish with olives, if using, and pass hot pepper sauce, if using.
- TIP: If you are in a hurry, skip browning the chicken.
- Just make sure that all the skin is removed; otherwise the dish will be too fatty.
- *Saffron is a pungent, bittersweet spice garnered from a particular kind of crocus.
- Buy saffron in threads, not powder, preferably from a reputable purveyor.
- Turmeric can be used to convey the saffron color in a dish, but it will not replicate the unique and haunting flavour of the original.
- Delicious & Dependable Slow Cooker Recipes.