Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Here's a slow cooker version of the great Spanish dish Arroz con Pollo. This tasty one dish meal is popular with everyone. Serve with a green salad and hot crusty bread, and pass the hot pepper sauce for those who like heat.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron threads (soaked in 2 Tbsp. boiling water) or 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 lbs chicken pieces, skin on breasts, skinless legs and thighs
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups converted long grain rice
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, including juice, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (OR 1 cup chicken stock plus 1/2 cup dry white wine)
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup green peas, thawed if frozen
- sliced pimento stuffed olive (optional)
- hot pepper sauce (optional)
- In a non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, in batches, and brown lightly on all sides.
- Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add rice and stir until grains are well coated with mixture.
- Stir in saffron, tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Transfer to slow cooker stoneware and stir to combine with chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, until juice run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.
- Stir in green pepper and peas, cover and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes, until vegetables are heated through.
- Garnish with olives, if using, and pass hot pepper sauce, if using.
- TIP: If you are in a hurry, skip browning the chicken.
- Just make sure that all the skin is removed; otherwise the dish will be too fatty.
- *Saffron is a pungent, bittersweet spice garnered from a particular kind of crocus.
- Buy saffron in threads, not powder, preferably from a reputable purveyor.
- Turmeric can be used to convey the saffron color in a dish, but it will not replicate the unique and haunting flavour of the original.
- Delicious & Dependable Slow Cooker Recipes.
Good recipe - but I changed it a little. Saffron is good in this, but true Cuban arroz con pollo uses some oregano and cumin. I used a round teaspoon of both. I also added a little Spanish paprika for a smokey flavor. To avoid having the rice turn to mush, first I deglazed the frying pan with the tomatoes and added this to the crockpot. I waited until about 45 minutes before completion, and sauteed the rice in a little olive oil until transparent, then added this rice to the crock pot. The rice cooked perfectly - it was tender but did not turn to mush.
oh boy, I dusted off my crock pot and was excited about trying this recipe. I was so disappointed. It was a big mushy mess. I followed all the instructions and still found it to be lacking in flavor and too low in salt (and I don't need a lot). Any ideas on how to improve flavor. I even used the saffron threads.
This recipe was excellent. For those who said it was a mushy mess put a paper towel over the crock pot and under the crock pot for the last hour of cooking. This helps absorb most of the liquid and prevents the rice from being mushy. This tip can be used for other recipes in which you see there is too much liquid during the cooking time.