Recipe by Sydney Mike
Here's a nice variation for the yam dish that doesn't tie up either oven or stove top! I prefer using long, slender yams for this recipe.
Top Review by MichMom
We liked this very much. I subbed dark raisins for golden, as that's what I had on hand. I left the nut topping off completely as I didn't have pecans in the house, and quite frankly, it was very good without (though I'm sure it would be great with!). Next time I make it, I'm going to try leaving the butter out at an attempt to make it a bit healthier. Also, I think I may peel the potatoes next time, as several skins came off the potatoes in the crockpot and I ended up with potato skins floating around separately in the mix. This will definitely be made again for us!
FOR THE YAMS
- 4 lbs yams, UNPEELED, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 (20 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE YAMS, with non-stick cooking spray, coat inside of a 4-quart crock pot.
- Into crock pot place sliced yams, pie filling, raisins, melted butter & cinnamon, then gently stir to mix.
- Cover & cook on LOW 6-7 hours or until yams are cooked through.
- FOR THE TOPPING, in large skillet, add chopped pecans, sugar & 2 tablespoons butter, then cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 8-10 minutes or until sugar mixture adhering to nuts turns golden & starts to melt.
- Pour mixture onto some heavy duty foil, & let cool completely.
- When cool, coarsely crush nut mixture.
- When yams are done, sprinkle with crushed nut mixture & serve.