Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a wonderful lower fat recipe...the gravy from this is so good.
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 4 medium carrots, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and cubed (you may use 3 or even 4 apples if desired)
- 1 1⁄4 cups apple cider
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- In a slow cooker, layer potatoes, carrots, onion and celery.
- Combine salt, thyme, pepper and caraway; sprinkle half over veggies.
- In a skillet, saute the chicken cubes in oil, until browned; transfer to a slow cooker.
- Top with apple.
- Combine the apple cider and vinegar; pour over chicken and apple.
- Sprinkle with remaining salt mixture.
- Top with bay leaf.
- Cover, and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or until veggies are tender, and chicken is cooked.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Stir before serving.
VERY nice stew, and so easy to make too! I used baby carrots and just tossed them in whole, apple juice instead of cider, and red wine vinegar instead of cider vinegar; all of these substitutions were made because of ingredients I had on hand. I doubled the apples as suggested, and for the chicken I actualy just cubed up some chicken that was left over from yesterday's supper. Everything came out very tender (even the chicken, which I was afraid would be too dry after essentially being cooked twice), and the taste is absolutely to die for. I think this recipe will definitely be going into a regular rotation here. Thank you for a great recipe!
I made this tonight. I substituted regular potatoes with sweet potatoes. I used boiling onions in the bottom of the slow cooker. It IS bland like other reviews said, I added 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to spices mix. Very delicious, will do again! Needs toasted bread with it !
This is a Taste of Home recipe. I used one apple per the original recipe. The stew was very chunky with just a little broth. I think it could stand more broth with a little thickener. Seasoning was just right for my taste.