Recipe by Margo59
This is just one of my comfort foods. I love it slathered on homemade biscuits. MMMMmmmm...so good.
Top Review by msteacher65_10520959
This is delicious apple butter! I used 5.5 lbs granny smith apples, 4c sugar, and 3t apple pie spice. I cored the apples but left the skin on. I chopped them in my food processor, stired in the sugar and spice, and cooked on high for 1 hr. Then I turned my crockpot down to low and went to bed. 8 hours later, it was done! I put it in my food processor to get a smooth texture and returned it to the crockpot to thicken on high for 1 hr. PERFECT apple butter! Processed for 10 minutes. I will make more for gifts!
- 5 1⁄2 lbs apples, peeled and finely chopped (I use 3-4 different types of apples)
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place apples in a large bowl.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Pour over apples and mix well.
- Place in crock pot, cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Decrease heat to low; cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours or until thickened and dark brown.
- Stir occasionally.
- Uncover and cook on low for 1 hour longer.
- If desired, whisk until smooth.
- Spoon into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-inch head space.
- Cover and freeze.