Prep 25 mins
Cook 13 hrs
This is just one of my comfort foods. I love it slathered on homemade biscuits. MMMMmmmm...so good.
- 5 1⁄2 lbs apples, peeled and finely chopped (I use 3-4 different types of apples)
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Place apples in a large bowl.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Pour over apples and mix well.
- Place in crock pot, cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Decrease heat to low; cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours or until thickened and dark brown.
- Stir occasionally.
- Uncover and cook on low for 1 hour longer.
- If desired, whisk until smooth.
- Spoon into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-inch head space.
- Cover and freeze.
This is delicious apple butter! I used 5.5 lbs granny smith apples, 4c sugar, and 3t apple pie spice. I cored the apples but left the skin on. I chopped them in my food processor, stired in the sugar and spice, and cooked on high for 1 hr. Then I turned my crockpot down to low and went to bed. 8 hours later, it was done! I put it in my food processor to get a smooth texture and returned it to the crockpot to thicken on high for 1 hr. PERFECT apple butter! Processed for 10 minutes. I will make more for gifts!
This is delicious, very easy to make since hubby peeled the apples. The entire family said 10 stars would be the correct rating for this recipe. Thank for sharing a great keeper.
Great recipe! I used only Macintosh Apples. After reading the other reviews, I decided to go ahead and cut back on the sugar. I doubled the amount of apples. I used 10 lbs. of apples, with only 4 cups of sugar. I kept the spices doubled following what the recipe called for. If I had used a more tart apple, I would have used the sugar called for. I have given it away to family and friends and they love it too!