Recipe by Audrey M
For such a large quantity of applesauce, I purchase mine at a food warehouse.
Top Review by angie_pangie
I've been making this for many years and love the ease of having apple butter in the off season. It isn't anywhere near the flavor of real apple butter, but it's a good substitute when you run out in May and can't wait until fall comes! Thanks for posting this one. I always use unsweetened applesauce and depending on what I have on hand I will sometimes sub pumpkin pie spice. When I'm in a hurry and want some NOW I'll cook this on the stove in a smaller batch in about an hour.
- 8 cups applesauce
- 4 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, place all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Pour applesauce into crock pot and cook uncovered on high for 6 to 7 hours.
- You don't need to worry about stirring it.
- After cooking time is up, place applesauce in sterilized glass jars and seal in a water bath for 10 minutes.
- You may also place it in the refrigerator or freeze it.
- This makes a wonderful gift with homemade bread.