Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is the way my mom makes apple butter.
- 4 quarts unsweetened applesauce
- 7 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar
- 5 1⁄3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 5 1⁄3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine all ingredients in a crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove lid and continue cooking until excess liquid cooks away. This will take another 2-4 hours.
- Seal mixture in hot jars and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- Makes approximately 8-10 pints.