I like this recipe for the taste and because it all fits into my 4 quart crock pot (packed). After the batch is done, I can them into jars for home use and gifts. To make it easier on myself, I use my spiral apple peeler/corer.
- Place apples in slow cooker in thirds, layering sugar between each layer.
- Add rest of ingredients on top and pack them down as well as you can.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low. Open and give it a stir. Keep covered and cook 8 hours or until thick and dark brown, stirring occasionally. (You can do this overnight and can in the morning).
- Uncover and cook for the last hour on low.
- If a smoother apple butter is desired, you may puree in blender or food mill.
- Place in sterile jars with lids and process for 10 minutes in hot water bath or you can freeze.
- Note: For more information on canning, you can go to the "Canning Forum" on recipezaar for instructions or to have questions answered.