Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Every year we go to the orchard, and I have to find 5,000 things to do with apples. This is one of my favorites. (Just make sure your diners are clear it's beef and APPLE stew, because, ya know, apples and POTATOES look very similar in stew, but the taste buds get a little freaked out if they're expecting the other;-)
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 3 large apples, peeled and chopped into large pieces
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon curry (or MORE, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- In crock pot, mix beef broth and flour well.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low 10-12 hours, or high 4-6 hours.
I was really looking forward to the chunks of the apples in this but when I came home and it was time for dinner, they had magically dissappeared into applesauce. so I didnt get the apple chunks but the flavor of the apples was still there. The apples gave the stew a nice sweet flavor. I also added 1/4 cup of red wine. This was VERY good! Thanks for posting. Made this for a Bargain Basement Tag.