Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
The stuffing can be modified to your taste. Great vegetarian meal to come home to from your crock pot.
- 1 acorn squash (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup long grain rice
- 1 carrot, coarsely shredded
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream, for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, snipped, for garnish
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Combine the rice, carrots, peppers, garlic and turmeric, and spoon the mixture into the squash cavities.
- Pour the water into an electric slow cooker (5 to 6 qt rectangular cooker), and add the squash halves, cavity-sides up.
- Pour the broth into the rice mixture in each cavity.
- Cook on LOW until the squash and rice are tender, 5-7 hours.
- Serve garnished with the sour cream and parsley (optional).
Sorry, Tish. This was so bitter from too much turmeric, that we couldn't eat it. I would recommend cutting the amount in half.
This was good. I can't personally say "FANTASTIC", because I'm not a great fan of acorn squash. Others eating, however, enjoyed(therefore 4 stars). One adjustment (due to travel time to- and from-work) was that this cooked for almost 9 hours. Might've made a difference for previous reviewer's comment on turmeric, as it seemed to work fine with my results. Thanks for the post, Tish!