Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
I first had this at a graduation party. It's a sweet and sour treat - don't let the odd combination of ingredients fool you! Great for potlucks.
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 -2 cup cracker crumb
- 2 -3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 -3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- salt & pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon beef bouillon powder, for flavor (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 1 can cranberries or 1 can cranberry sauce
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 bottle chili sauce (found with marinades and condiments)
- Meatballs: mix all ingredients, adding more crumbs if necessary, or another egg if too dry.
- Form into 1 inch meatballs.
- Place in crockpot.
- Sauce: mix all ingredients, pour over meatballs in crockpot.
- Cook on low 7-8 hours or until meatballs are cooked through, stirring once or twice, carefully, after 4 hours.
This was a little time consuming but not difficult to make. I fed my husband and four teenage sons with this and it was a big hit. I was doubtful however that they would like the unusual combination of flavors but it was a real winner. My boys are begging me to make this again really soon. Thanks Peace for such a wonderful and unique recipe. We'll be having this again soon :> missviolinist
These meatballs were great! Thanks for such a good recipe.