Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 72 hrs
Eggs and onions in a sweet vinegar brine that are wonderful sliced over fresh spinach or any fresh salad or served separately. This is an old recipe when the crocks were put down in root cellars where it was cold.
- Place eggs and onions in a 1/2 gallon crock or 1/2 gallon jar.
- In saucepan, add vinegar,water,salt, mustard seed,celery seed, turmeric and sugar.
- Stir to blend. Use a woooden spoon. Simmer,add apple juice or cranberry juice.
- Taste. The brine should be sweet and sour. It must be strong in taste for the flavor to go into the eggs and onions. Note: If it is not sweet enough for your taste add 1/8 more sugar at a time. If it is not sour enough for your taste add 1 tsp vinegar at a time. Make sure it is hot. Pour over eggs. There must be enough brine to cover. If not make another half batch.
- Cover the crock with a turned over plate that will fit down in the crock. Put a weight on the plate.
- Cover the jar with waxed paper or plastic wrap, then the lid. You do not want the lid to rust with the vinegar. Gently shake the jar each day.
- Refrigerate three days. You can keep for five to seven days.
- If you use cranberry juice, there will be a slight tint to the eggs. Do not use cranberry grape, the eggs will turn a blueish gray.