Recipe by nitko
This meal is from NW part of Croatia, from peninsula Istria. It is important to use two kinds of meat, so you can vary: veal-turkey; pork-beef; pork-turkey, beef-horse etc.
- 500 g horse meat
- 500 g beef (muscles)
- 2 onions, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 cups tomatoes (strained tomatoe)
- 100 g bacon (pancetta, very finely minced, in small cubes)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1 cup wine (white, preferably Istrian malvasia)
- 10 g salt
- 5 g pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- First slice the meat in peaces 2-3 cm large.
- Put the olive oil in a pot and sauté the onion until it is soft. Add the meat, salt pepper and bay leaf. Sauté it for 15 minute When the meat relief the water, add bacon, garlic, majoran and basil and sauté for 5 more minutes; than add the wine and sauté until wine partly evaporates.
- Add tomato and cook 30 min on easy fire. If there's not enough liquid add some water.
- Cook it for about 60 min; or until the meat is soft. Before eating leave it still for 10 min., and add some more olive oil (to taste). If you taste it is too sour, you may add some sugar (sometimes tomatoes are sour, plus wine, it can be too sour).
- Serve with potato gnocchi, noodles or mashed potato.