Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is in fact Turkish heritage in Croatian gastronomy. We use mixed pork and beef meat. This is the recipe I use and the difference is that I roast peppers before putting them into sauce.
- 1500 g green peppers (8 to 10 pieces)
- 250 g beef (grounded)
- 250 g pork (grounded)
- 30 g lard
- 10 g onions
- 50 g rice
- 1 egg
- 500 g tomato juice (strained tomato juice)
- 40 g lard
- 40 g flour (all purpose)
- 20 g sugar
- 100 g sour cream (optional)
- Wash green peppers and cut the stem part to open a hole and to remove seeds part.
- Sauté finely minced onion on lard. When transparent remove from heat and add grounded beef and pork.
- Cook rice until half done and add into meat. Also add 1 whole egg, salt and pepper. Mix well into a compact stuffing.
- Stuff each green pepper with stuffing until full (Surplus of stuffing use as meat balls to cook with peppers).
- In a pot melt lard and sauté flour until brownish. Add tomato strained juice, salt and sugar. Add water if needed.
- Roast each green pepper in a frying pan on some oil making sure they don’t over burn. Put each peppers into a sauce and cook 60 minutes. At the end you can add sour cream.