Recipe by pogo661+czar
Also known as "Crna Riz" or "black rice", this recipe is traditionally a risotto made with squid ink, and wine. This alcohol free version is much easier to prepare, and is a great way to introduce kids to squid.
- 3 lbs small squid, frozen
- 2 lbs yellow onions, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup rice
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
Directions See How It's Made
- For the best taste, and tenderest squid, you need the freshest squid possible. Frozen squid is frozen as soon as it's caught, and will produce better results than previously thawed squid. Its also a lot less expensive.
- Check that the box is not bulging on one end, indicating it was thawed and refrozen.
- Thaw the squid by wrapping the box in plastic wrap, and submerging in tepid to warm water for a couple of hours. The thawed squid should smell fresh, and there should be no need to rinse. Clean the squid by separating the head and body, and pulling out the quill. On fresh squid, the quill will pull out easily, in one piece. The guts should pull out with the squid. Eggs can be left behind in the body. Cut the bodies into 3/4 inch squares.
- Clean the tentacles by squeezing the heads to push out the beak, and cutting away the beak, guts and eyes from the tentacles. For "black" rice, remove the ink sacs from several of the larger squid, and slit open to remove the ink. Add to the skillet at the same time as the squid.
- Traditionally this is a risotto, however this can result in overcooked squid, so we recommend pre-cooking the rice. Bring rice and water to a boil, then lid tightly and leave on low heat for 20 minutes. The rice should be added to the squid while still hot.
- In some oil in a heavy 12" skillet, fry onions until they start to turn golden. Then add crushed garlic and cook for a minute. Then add chopped squid (and optional ink). Stir on high heat until squid turns white, and then another minute. This will take about 6-10 minutes, depending on how hot your stove is. Do not overcook! Properly cooked squid will be completely white, yet very tender.
- Mix in parsley, remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in hot rice. Finish with extra virgin olive oil. Check seasoning.
- Can be served thick, as a main course or side dish, or with more liquid, as a soup. Garnish with grated Romano cheese.