Recipe by Tish
Posted in response to a request for Croatian recipes. I have not tried this but it sounds good. Times are estimated
Top Review by laurieanne_7785912
This recipe is from the vegetarian cookbook, " Moosewood on Sunday". I've made it several times and think it's delicious. If you don't like sauerkraut though, you won't like this soup.
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 small parsnip, diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour or 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 5 cups vegetable stock, heated
- 1⁄2 cup sauerkraut
- sour cream, optional
- minced chives, optional
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer potato in salted water until tender but firm.
- Drain and set aside, covered.
- Saute the onions and paprika in the oil, add the garlic and saute for a few minues more.
- Mix in the fennel, bay leaf, carrots, parsnips and celery, saute for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Sift the flour ino the vegetables and simmer on low heat for a few minutes, stirring.
- Add the salt, black pepper, vinegar and vegetable stock.
- Simmer for 10 minutes then stir in the potatoes and sauerkraut.
- Garnish each bowl with sour cream or chives, serve with black bread or marbled rye.