Recipe by nitko
This is typical Slavonian meal. Use only freshwater fish. It is important to mix various fish, and it is important to put a lot of hot paprika in it. These is one of the ways of making Fish paprikash, and believe me there are almost 1 million ways or, better, all adult Slovenians have their own way of making ï¿½Fishï¿½, as they call it.
Top Review by NataliaM
I remember the dish well. It is in fact the dish to which Hungarinas lay claim. This recipe reminded me to cook it. It was as delicious as when I had it last time in a Belgrade fish restaurant. I strongly recommend it. It extremely healthy providing you do not go overboard with lard or olive oil. Just remember the fish has fat too. Good luck.
- 1500 g carp
- 1000 g catfish
- 1000 g pike
- 50 g lard (or oil but not olive oil)
- 1000 g onions
- 500 g tomato puree (passata or Italian-style sieved tomatoes)
- 50 g red paprika
- 30 g red paprika (hot or 5 chili peppers)
- 500 g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 20 g salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In Croatia, fish paprikash was historically cooked in large bronze pot over open fire. Nowadays, you need a large stockpot.
- Slice onion and sauté it in lard until translucent.
- Add all peppers (hot and sweet), 5 liters of water, fish cut in 250 g pieces, vinegar, sliced potatoes (in cubes) and salt.
- Cook peppers about 25 minutes; add tomato sauce and continue to cook another 20 minutes (45 minutes total).
- Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Do not stir, just shake the pot or the fish will disintegrate.
- Do not add paprika after boiling.
- Do not try to cool yourself with water if it is too hot when you eat it, it will be worse. You have to drink wine with it.