Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is very typical Croatian snack. We call it “cvarci”. It is a synonym for unhealthy food. It is extremely full of cholesterol. It is popular in Northern parts of Croatia, especially Slavonija, Podravina and Zagorje. As a side product you get pork fat or lard. This recipe is for approximately 1 kg of lard.
- 1300 g bacon (light bacon, white bacon, no skin)
- 10 g onions (1 whole onion)
- 2 tablespoons milk (optional)
- Cut the bacon in cubes approximately 2 cm large.
- Put it in a large pot and fry it gently until bacon melts. If you want them gold put milk, but than the fat product is not so good (for later cooking).
- When you see “cvarci” became gold in colour and start to chirp put the whole onion in it and let it fry for 3 tp 6 minutes.
- Drain “cvarci” and save the liquid fat (lard) in a pot. You can use it for preparing food.