1/3 Photos of Croatian Plum Dumplings (Knedli Od Sljiva)
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
As with the plum jam, this recipe also uses “bistrica” plums. Of course, other kind of blue plums can be used, but with “bistrica” the dumplings will give the most of it. There are two ways of making this meal: either with the stone or without (if you make without the stone replace it with sugar cube). I usually make with the stone to keep the plum consistent. The dough is usual potato dough as you make for gnocchi.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook potato in skin until soft (like for potato salad). When ready peal the skin and mash potato on flat surface. Be careful it is very hot.
- 2Add butter (crush it a bit to speed melting), flour, semolina, nutmeg and salt. Make it into a dough, and when cools it a bit add two eggs. You will think now that you make a big mistake because it will turn very wet, but you have to be firm and continue to make dough. It is OK to add more flour.
- 3The right amount of flour will be clear to you after you make this several times, this is amount I usually put. It also depends on quality of potato; some are softer than others. When the dough is firm, but soft enough, make the dumplings.
- 4Cut a piece of dough and roll around cleaned and washed plum. The dough shouldn’t be more than 1 cm thick. If you make it without plum stone, break the plum into half, remove the stone and put a sugar cube instead. After that, do as previously mention.
- 5At this point you can freeze the whole amount of dumplings, but do it on flat surface making sure they don’t touch. After they freeze, you can put them in a bag.
- 6If you want to cook them right away, use large pot, fill with water up to 2/3 and add some oil. When water boils, put the dumplings into the water and cook until they start to float on the surface. You may use a toothpick to check if they are soft.
- 7In the meantime melt butter in a frying pan and fry some breadcrumbs. When removing dumplings from the pot put them into hot butter with breadcrumbs and fry them just a bit to reduce surplus of water.
- 8You may serve them as a desert, but also as a lunch, of course amount of dumplings will differ in both cases.
- 9When you open the dumplings, you may put some sugar over it and also some grounded cinnamon. Some people add sour cream over dumplings, but I don’t like it that way.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Croatian Plum Dumplings (Knedli Od Sljiva)
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 650.0
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 92.9 mg
- Sodium 551.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 15.2 g