Recipe by nitko
Now, this is a typical Croatian meal. It is a variation of a whole piglet on a spin machine (we call it in Croatia: a happy machine) when you have only a part of a piglet. Anyway, it tastes the same, maybe even better. It goes excellent with sauerkraut.
Top Review by Iowahorse
This was very good! It was very juicy and tender with a light mellow flavor.I did try it with sauerkraut and they went well together. Next I'll sub the kraut on the side because I think this would be awesome with some South Korean kimchi. Thanks for sharing this Nitko.
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the piglet leg and salt it. DO NOT salt the skin.
- Cut the skin with sharp knife and make a “chess board” on it.
- Preheat oil in a pot. Pour HOT oil over the piglet skin and quickly put the piglet in hot oven (220°C).
- You bake piglet as follows: 1 kg = 1 hour.
- After 15 min reduce heat to 180°C and pour over piglet 1/3 of your beer.
- After approximately 1,5 hours pour over another 1/3 of your beer.
- About 20 minutes before it is done heat the over back to 220°C and pour over the piglet last 1/3 of your beer.
- Wondering around hot oven obviously requires more than half a litre of beer, so keep one for the piglet and three for you.