Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Using “reverse engineering” I think I found out how mr. Pero, a.k.a. “Gardelin” is preparing this excellent meal. He also told me that you can use any kind of fish or crabs to prepare the same meal. If you have any chance to visit village Vrboska on island Hvar, go to restaurant “Trica” and ask for “hobotnica ispod peke” and you will get this:
- Use the whole octopus, cut in pieces about 3-5 cm. The best is to use frozen octopus, even if you get fresh one, freeze it – it will be mush softer.
- Take one large pan for baking in oven. Put some olive oil on bottom and than put potato cut thin almost like chips all around the bottom.
- Than put octopus, tomato cut in ¼, onion cut in ¼ , olives, crushed garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and on the tom rosemary. Pour the wine and olive oil. Cover with aluminium cover for households preventing steam to get out: very firmly.
- Put in the oven on 200°C for 30-40 minutes.
- It is also very good with large white fish, or you can add shrimps to taste, or whatever sea food you like.
This dish was very good. I made it with baby octopi (14) and a lb. of shrimp minus the black olives. Surprisingly it did not have an overpowering seafood taste. It is a great way to introduce timid eaters (what I call epicuriously challenged) to more exotic foods (at least different than chicken, beef, and pork). I cut the potatoes and onions very thin so the 30 minute cook time was sufficient. I also used green onions to add a little color. I applaud the author.