Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is my favourite soup. Mutton soup is usually served during grape-gathering in Dalmatia because it gives you extraordinary strength and energy which you need during hard work in vineyards. We also eat meat we cook in soup, usually with tomato salsa (see recipe in Zaar – “Island Hvar salsa”) and mashed potato. I had this excellent meal just two weeks ago. It was prepared by my neighbour who is wine producer in village Vrboska on island Hvar, just one week before grape-gathering.
- 1000 g mutton
- 200 g carrots
- 100 g tomatoes (or one whole tomato)
- 150 g onions
- 100 g parsley roots
- 50 g celery root
- 10 g cabbage (one leaf)
- 2 g garlic (or 1 garlic clove)
- 10 g salt
- 10 g black pepper (whole berries)
- 50 g parsley (fresh, minced)
- 4 liters water (cold)
- Put cold water in a pot (appropriate large pot). If you want better soup put mutton in cold water, if you want better mutton meat put it in hot water.
- Rind carrots, onion, parsley, celery and put all other ingredients into water. Boil and after it boils reduce heat and cook for 3 to 4 hours.
- Filter the soup into separate pot.
- If you want, put into strained soup carrots, add noodles or whatever you like in soup, sprinkle with freshly minced parsley and serve.