Recipe by Ms*Bindy
Posting this for Zaar World Tour 2005. I haven't tried it yet myself. It is from a Moosewood cookbook.
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
Another really yummy mushroom recipe from one of Bunny Mom's Moosewood cookbooks. I used olive oil and added a teaspoon of dried thyme to the other herbs, but otherwise made these exactly to the recipe. A little time-consuming to make (so don't make these when you're trying to get a meal together in a hurry) but well worth the effort: a really elegant and scrumptious side dish which would superbly complement grilled, BBQ'd or roasted meat or fish dishes. Thank you for sharing this recipe! Next time, I'm going to double the recipe (and make it at the weekend) and then serve it over several nights.
- 6 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- With a sharp knife, cut a small hole in the stem end of each tomato and gently scoop out most of the tomato pulp with a teaspoon.
- In a medium skillet, saute the onions in oil until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, seasonings and herbs.
- Saute, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms release their juice, and then simmer until liquid is reduced, about 5-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the flour and stir well.
- Mix in the eggs to coat the mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Season the inside of the hollowed tomatoes with salt and pepper to help the tomatoes retain their shape.
- Stuff the tomatoes with the mushroom mixture and place them in a buttered 9X13 baking pan.
- Combine the grated cheese and bread crumbs.
- Top each tomato with about 1 1/2 Tbsp of this mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the bottom of the baking pan and bake the tomatoes, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, and bake for another 5 minutes until cheese is slightly browned.