Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is at least 200 years old. My grand-grandmother was preparing leek that way, my, grandmother was preparing that way, my mother was preparing that way, so I am preparing it that way. This is very healthy meal, although it is prepared on pork fat.
- Wash the leek very thoroughly (there might be some mud between the leaves) and cut them in 1 inch pieces (also the green parts, at least nice looking one).
- Preheat the water and when it boils put the leek in it and leave it boil for one minute.
- During this operation prepare this: put lard in a pot, heat it and brown flour in lard (but not too brown).
- Add grounded paprika and just few drops of cold water to make “zafrig” (a kind of “sauce veloutè”).
- Take out leek with hollow spoon, add sliced potato in small cubes and water you have cooked leek in it.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until potato is soft (10-20 minutes).
- Serve as a side dish to steaks, sausages, dried smoked ham etc.