Recipe by nitko
This recipe is at least 200 years old. My grand-grandmother was preparing savoy cabbage that way, my, grandmother was preparing that way, my mother was preparing that way, so I am preparing it that way. This is very healthy meal, although it is prepared on lard.
- 700 g savoy cabbage (one medium head)
- 100 g bacon (pancetta, smoked, dried)
- 150 g potatoes
- 1 tablespoon lard (preferably, but oil can do)
- 2 g garlic
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika (red, dried)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the savoy cabbage and cut it in 1 inch pieces.
- Preheat the water and when it boils put the savoy cabbage in it and leave it boil for one minute.
- During this operation prepare this: put lard in a pot, heat it and add finely sliced garlic and bacon (pancetta), brown flour in lard (but not too brown).
- Add ground paprika and just few drops of cold water to make “zafrig” (a kind of “sauce veloutè”).
- Take out savoy cabbage with hollow spoon, add sliced potato in small cubes and water you have cooked kale in it.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until potato is soft (10-20 minutes).
- Serve as a side dish to steaks, sausages, dried smoked ham etc.