1/5 Photos of Croatian Kale (Savoy Cabbage) Stew (Kelj Cuspajz)
This recipe is at least 200 years old. My grand-grandmother was preparing savoy cabbage that way, my, grandmother was preparing that way, my mother was preparing that way, so I am preparing it that way. This is very healthy meal, although it is prepared on lard.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the savoy cabbage and cut it in 1 inch pieces.
- 2Preheat the water and when it boils put the savoy cabbage in it and leave it boil for one minute.
- 3During this operation prepare this: put lard in a pot, heat it and add finely sliced garlic and bacon (pancetta), brown flour in lard (but not too brown).
- 4Add ground paprika and just few drops of cold water to make “zafrig” (a kind of “sauce veloutè”).
- 5Take out savoy cabbage with hollow spoon, add sliced potato in small cubes and water you have cooked kale in it.
- 6Season with salt and pepper and cook until potato is soft (10-20 minutes).
- 7Serve as a side dish to steaks, sausages, dried smoked ham etc.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Croatian Kale (Savoy Cabbage) Stew (Kelj Cuspajz)
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.8
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.0 mg
- Sodium 259.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 7.4 g