Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is only one of the many ways game is prepared in Croatia. This particular one is from northern parts of Croatia: Podravina, Zagorje, and West Slavonia. In Istria cooks put rosemary and other Mediterranean plants in their stews. The best boar I have tried is one in village Dol on island Hvar (it was a small family restaurant); and I have found out why – those boars eat Mediterranean food!
- 1 liter red wine
- 3 g garlic or 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries
- 1 teaspoon pepper berries
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 500 g carrots
- 20 g celery root
- 40 g parsley roots
- 500 g onions
- 200 g tomatoes (strained juice)
- 2 kg boar (preferably in one piece)
- Three days before consummation put the meat in marinade. Cut carrot, celery, parsley, onion into small rounds and pour over the wine. My advice is to put all spices in medical gauze and close it like little bag (you can easily take it out when straining the vegetables). Hold the meat in cold place, but not refrigerate.
- The consummation day: Take the meat out and fry it in a large pan on all sides. Meat must not start to loose liquid – when it starts – move the meat, it is done.
- Take out all vegetables from marinade and sauté it in the same pan for about 10 minutes.
- Put everything in a large pot (meat, vegetables, spices and wine from marinade) and cook until the meat is soft (about three hours).
- When the meat is done, take it out and slice it into portions. Strain the vegetables – now it is the time to remove the spice bag. Put the meat and strained vegetables back together and cook for 10 more minutes.
- If the sauce is too strong, you can put some cooking cream in it.
- Serve with cranberry or red berry or blueberry jam with gnocchi or pasta. Use this way for all game (infantry or Air force).